1. Kona coffee is the only coffee grown in the United States.
2. It is well known around the world for its rich flavor and excellent quality. In fact, Mark Twain said, “Kona coffee has a richer flavor than any other…”
3. Samual Ruggles brought the first coffee plant to Kona in 1828.
4. Native Hawaiians and Chinese laborers worked the fields where everything was done by hand. When the market crashed the plantation owners leased the land to its workers, many of which were from Japan who were brought in to work on the sugar plantations.
5. The work was difficult but the rich volcanic soil and perfect climate provided the perfect condition for growing coffee.
6. Several areas were used for coffee fields throughout the Big Island but the district of Kona was perfect and now the majority of coffee is planted here.
7. Kona coffee blooms with small white flowers (Kona Snow) covering the tree in February and March.
8. Because it is so rare some retailers sell Kona Blends which may only contain 10% of Kona coffee and 90% of cheaper imported beans.
9. Hawaii law requires blends to state the percentage of Kona coffee on its label. To be considered authentic the label must say 100% Kona Coffee.
10. In 1990 a California company was sued on behalf of Kona coffee growers for labeling bags “Kona coffee” but filling it with Central American coffee. If you want to experience the rich full flavor that Mark Twain talked about then visit our store and order 100% Kona coffee that we will ship directly to your door. http://www.shakatime.com